This year, one of the things I have been revisiting is my needs vs my wants. Radically eliminating my material belongings has helped me realise just how little I actually need. I have seen huge changes in my mindset which has opened up room for me to take things a little further.
To keep things interesting, I started to set myself challenges to get out of my comfort zone and see how far I can go on the bare essentials:
Some of the challenges I have set for myself:
- Cut off my hair and go natural for 12 months.
- No make up purchases for 12 months.
- No take-away coffee for 12 months.
- No new clothing purchases for 6 months (repairs or replacements only).
- Take lunch to work everyday for 6 months.
- No spending on weekdays for 6 months.
- No fast-food dinners for 6 months.
- Try eating everything in the pantry / fridge before shopping for more.
- No book purchases for 12 months. Swap with friends, or borrow from the library instead.
- Eliminate Social Media for 12 months.
- Go cash free for 12 months.
- Reduce or Eliminate TV / Screen time
- Have 1 car free day per week
- Eliminate all plastic packaging
- Shop once a month for groceries.
If you stumble across this post and have any ideas for challenges that you would like to see me tackle, feel free to leave a comment.
Similarly, if you’ve undertaken any challenges of your own, I’d love to hear about them. This journey is here for us to share!